Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kobenhavn!

Copenhagen was the last stop on our vacation. We loved this city! What a nice break from Singapore's heat and humidity. Very different from Germany, but just as fun to explore. Here are a few photos of our time in this great city.


It was a short 15 minute walk (about 1 km) to the city center from our hotel. This is a much smaller city compared to Munich. Still plenty of shopping and cafes for a nice day out. 


I like how the windows open out and I like that the buildings are a mix of plain brick and colorful facades.


Lots of bicycles here, I had to be very careful when walking around not to get run over by one. They go super fast through the city. Some had big carts on the front of them with kids or girlfriends riding in the cart. 


Botanic Gardens Copenhagen. Nice reflection in the pond.


Went for a short stroll through the Botanic Gardens. Nice quiet day and it was really nice to get away from the crowds of tourists that were out and about. 

The Round Tower. This is one of the sights to be seen. It was originally built in the 17th century as an astronomical observatory.


A street in the city center. I love the bikes lined up and the open windows on the pretty brick building.


Nyhavn. Literally means "new harbour". Lots of great restaurants, cafes and hotels here. I tried pickled herring, pretty good! Geoff had an open faced sandwich that is pretty popular here. Mayonnaise is also very popular, unfortunately I am not a fan of it.


It was crowded, this was the place to be in Copenhagen. Some of the restaurants have a small bar outside so you can buy a beer in a plastic cup and sit by the boats for a quick break. 




I loved the steeples / spires in the city. They all had such great detail. 


I was really looking forward to seeing The Little Mermaid! Couldn't wait to get there. We had to take a taxi because our feet were wearing out and it was sort of far but it was worth it. It was so hard to get a good picture and I am so disappointed in this picture. I wanted to get a better angle so I had a nicer background, I had big plans for her. I have plenty of pictures with the tops of other peoples heads in them...


This is the crowd I had to fight to get a picture of the mermaid. I was standing on the rocks trying not to fall or knock anyone over on my tiptoes! 


Kastellet is one of the best preserved star fortresses in Northern Europe, according to wikipedia :) I liked the flag and I had to wait a bit for the flag to unfurl just right to get this picture. Now I wished I had composed the photo better! The military still uses some of the space, mostly it is used as a park.


This gorgeous windmill was at Kastellet.


We went to the castle to see the changing of the guards but I was too tired to stand around and wait for them. They are supposed to march through town from one castle to another. So we left and went to a cafe for lunch and they marched right past our table. I got up and ran over to get their picture. They had to wait for a red light at this intersection so I got lucky!


Happy Friday!!! Have a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment