Thursday, August 29, 2013

Singapore Wet Markets

In Singapore we have places called "wet markets". It is sort of similar to a farmers market except Singapore's wet markets are in open air buildings and they sell more than just produce. You can buy almost anything at a wet market. Fruits, veggies, fresh herbs, poultry, meat and seafood, tofu, eggs, freshly made noodles, flip flops, mops and all sorts of household items. They are called wet markets because the ice used to keep the fish chilled while out on display will melt keeping the floors wet. There are wet markets in most neighbourhoods and some (or maybe all of them) have a second or third level with cooked food stalls. They are open everyday, Mondays are probably the slowest day with the fewest number of stalls open, not much fresh fish or pork on Monday. The fresh food stalls open early, some as early as 6 am and close around lunch time, noon - 2pm ish. The cooked food stalls and housewares shops will stay open later.


Tekka Centre Little India

Tekka Centre is a two story wet market and cooked food market with tons of shopping on the second floor. They have ladies Sari's, children's clothes, men's clothes, tailors, etc.


If you buy a fruit like jack fruit or pineapple, if you like, they will cut it up for you so you don't have to bother with it at home.


Spice shop. Good place to get premixed curry and garam masala powders.


Fresh veggies. See the colander, normally you grab one and put what you want to buy into the colander and then give that to the shopkeeper. She will then add it up and bag it up. 


Fresh fish. You can buy them whole or they will prepare as you like, fillets, steaks, skin removed, etc.


I had not noticed the egg stalls before.


These are tiny dried anchovies and shrimps. Sometimes its OK to have allergies and a stuffy nose :)


Larger dried and salted fish.


Dried squid.


Fresh noodles, wonton wrappers and bean curd skins.


Some of the cooked food stalls at Tekka Centre.



Second floor of Tekka Centre. Need a new outfit?


Mops, mats, sponges....


Tiong Bahru Market

Every time I come here I get lost. It isn't even that far from the train but it is a sure thing for me, I will be lost. This day was no exception.


I believe this stall is selling offerings. Not sure but it looks like it. My Singlish isn't sharp enough to pick up what the shopkeeper was saying...


Whole coffee beans to be freshly ground. Smells great in this stall! 


Cooked food stalls on the second floor. I was here at lunch time and this is a popular place to go.


I have eaten at this stall, Tiong Bahru Lee Hong Kee Cantonese Roasted. Super delicious roasted pork and rice. I always look for a long line and just jump in it. Must be good to have a long line when there are so many options.


I wouldn't get in this line no matter how long it is. Pig Organ Soup. Not for me. I'll have some Chwee Kueh, Laksa, Char Kway Teow, Chicken Porridge, Popiah, Sliced Fish Soup, La Mian anything, the list goes on.


I like the potted plants and fresh cut flowers at Tiong Bahru. 


Nice view of downtown from the third floor car park.

Not so many pictures of the fresh meat, pork, fish or poultry. I have to say I have only heard good things about it. Very fresh, clean, sometimes the best meat you can find in Singapore. It doesn't photograph well, but I am sure that is just because I am the photographer. On a hot humid day the last thing I want to do is smell a dozen stalls of raw, very freshly butchered anything. There are refrigerated cases and it is all good stuff but the "fresh meat smell" is a bit much for me. I stick with the produce :)

Happy Friday!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment