Thursday, October 3, 2013

Back Lighting and Shadows

The effect of back lighting is so pretty and soft. I have always liked how the sunlight filters through the leaves in the late afternoon but never realized it was a popular photography perspective. I shot these in Program mode, ISO 100-400.


The light filtering through the leaves makes beautiful shades of green.


This fern was growing on the side of a palm tree and the sun was shining so brightly it really glowed from behind. Its a super zoom shot to keep the background clean which helps the fern pop.


Its so hot in Singapore this will definitely be a favorite perspective to shoot, shade is a must!


This is usually a much darker leaf... maybe I just learned something about composition. In this photo you cannot immediately see that it is a back lit subject. I guess to show the effect of back lighting it is good to have a larger view to see the change the light makes with the subject. What a smarty pants I am, I just figured that out on my own!


Sun shining through the palm trees.


Love how the sun has totally blown out the left side of the photo here, its even shining through a bit of the butterfly's wings. 

Shadows are another fun subject. When the sun is too bright to photograph the trees and get something other than a washed out picture, try the shadows. 


This was a perfect palm tree shadow. 


This shadow was on a building just before twilight. The building is normally a grey concrete color but with the sun going down the glow was a bit orange and the shadow was excellent. 


Group photo of my photography class in Chinatown. Sometimes I get so focused on the photo I am trying to shoot I don't see outside of the frame. In this case, everyone was  really into the photo and after shooting we realized there was a car patiently waiting for us to get out of the street. Ooops, good thing he wasn't in a hurry!


Use of shadow to create a frame for the main subject. 


Shadow of the roof line of a building across the alley, interesting lines.

Happy Friday!









No comments:

Post a Comment