Thursday, February 6, 2014

Framing and a Short Walk by the River

I went for a short walk along the Singapore River the other day. Short because I am almost done training for my half marathon and my legs sort of feel like they are ready to fall off :) The cooler-ish weather is gone and the heat is back so this also contributed to a short walk rather than a long walk. Still, better than most of the weather the USA is currently dealing with.


I found the cutest sculpture of three cats sitting by the river. I tried to include the gate as a frame for the cats. They are sort of out of the way and not super easy to spot.


This sculpture of kids jumping in the river to play and cool off is really lifelike. With the hot weather back I could almost join them.


On the other side of the river, the front view of the kids. There are a few more statues further down the river. They were made to depict scenes from the early days of Singapore when the river was where trade happened and kids played.

Framing is an interesting way to photograph a subject. It is done by drawing attention to the main subject of your photo by blocking other parts of the photo with something in the scene. Here are some of my best framing shots. I'll be working on this for the next few weeks as it is the Feb Nikon Club Photo Challenge.


A castle in Fussen. Great framing shot done by using part of the walkway to frame the back of the castle.


This is at one of the Fire Stations in Singapore by Fort Canning Park. The main subject is the people walking and they are framed by the red doors and interesting brick pattern on the building.


A building in Copenhagen. The doorway is framed nicely by another doorway.


And this is my favorite so far, hoping to top it soon. This is shot through a garbage can opening. Made for a nice frame of a street scene in the Bugis area of Singapore.

Happy Friday!!!








2 comments: