Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy Lunar New Year!

As promised, here are some shots from a night outing to Chinatown. I never realized how crowded this area gets at this time of year, wow! January 31 and February 1 are the official holidays in Singapore and most places will close. I have been busy stocking up on groceries for the weekend to ensure survival. No worries, I think we will make it. I remember the first year we were here we didn't think the holiday would shut down the city as much as it does. It gets pretty quiet which can be sort of nice.



This was my best shot of the giant horse lantern. There are several smaller horses behind him in the background with Chinese coin lanterns. 2014 is the year of the Wood Horse and the coins are to attract the energy of wealth.


Smaller horses galloping into prosperity on another Chinatown street.


The coins lit up at night over the street.


We went to the 6th floor of an HDB car park for an overview of Chinatown for a few shots. This is a partial view of the city skyline and the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum along with some Chinatown shop houses.


On the corner under the awning is a fruit stall, oranges are a popular New Year treat.


I used a long shutter speed to show the movement of the crowd at the fruit stand.


Looking down at a durian stand right next to a restaurant (see the table on the left). I don't think I could eat right next to a durian stand, they are pretty smelly. At least they are whole durian and not peeled, ready to eat, yucko! There is even a fine for bringing a durian onto a train. I think you either love them or hate them, not too much middle ground. To be fair, I haven't actually tried them. I cannot get past the smell...


Here they are, durian ready to eat. I should have gotten a close up. Maybe I'll do a blog post just on durian one day. I'll have to find a person who loves it to pose for me. 


Love the lanterns lit at night and a peak of the crowds. This location wasn't the greatest but it was so crowded with all the good locations overfilled with photographers. We were a group of about 15 so it was sort of hard to fit us all in. Note to self for next year: go alone, one person can squeeze in easier than a group.


I decided to walk through the middle on my own after the group split up. It was on my way home anyway. Here is a candy and sweets stall, good time to stock up on your favorite candies!


Decorations for the home.


These are dried (?) Chinese sausages. I see them in the stores all year but at the holidays everyone is buying all their favorites. 

Tonight (Thursday, Lunar New Years Eve) I met with the same group for another night shot, this time at a different location. We met at 9:30pm, which is usually my bedtime ;) so I was pretty sleepy but it was worth it! The location was a Taoist temple on Waterloo Street that is popular to visit at midnight. It is late and I haven't really had a chance to edit my photos so here are a few that are my favorites so far. 


Here is the temple from the street level. The crowds are not so bad just yet, it is early and we just got there. Normally this is a busy area anyway with street vendors and shops of every kind for a few blocks in all directions. It is one of my favorite places to be in Singapore for many reasons, one of them is the great street photography shots available.


So it seems to me that you get there and then you buy what you need like joss sticks from a super nice vendor like this person. She graciously allowed me to photograph her. There were maybe 100 vendors with joss sticks of all varieties. I asked my photography instructor why the joss sticks and he said it is an offering to the Gods and the aroma is to get their attention. 


There are cans, placed close to the vendors, with small fires to light the joss sticks. 


One of my good flame shots :) This would also be a good blog all on its own, fire - smoke and flames. 


After lighting the joss sticks you proceed to the temple.


Here I moved to an undisclosed location (secretive, huh?) and got a few good shots of the crowd and the lanterns. I would like to know why some of the people are holding the joss sticks and praying facing away from the temple and some are facing the temple. Are joss sticks the same as incense? Many questions...


Same sort of shot with a longer shutter speed to show some people do not move and some are moving and blurred. 



Starting to get crowded, almost midnight now.


Lots of smoke from the joss sticks. There were small joss sticks, large ones, so many available. I wonder if there is a reason for the different ones or if its all personal preference? We were all so immersed in our photography no one was talking. Now, looking back, I have so many questions! 

Happy Lunar New Year and Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment