Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thai Pusam 2014


This post is going up a little later than usual because I had the opportunity to photograph Thaipusam celebrations in Singapore early Friday morning. Even though we have lived in Singapore for a few years now, I have never made it out to see the Thaipusam events. So when a friend of my hubby's who was participating offered to meet me there I was super thrilled to have the opportunity! How lucky! I don't think I would have felt comfortable without his and his wife's help.
So, what is Thaipusam? It is my understanding that Thaipusam is a Hindu holiday held during the full moon in the tenth lunar month of the Hindu calendar. Celebrated mainly by the Tamil community, but also celebrated by other devotees, it is a day of thanksgiving to Lord Subramaniam (aka Murugan) for answered prayers. Participants perform rituals to fulfil vows and seek blessings. Here are some of my photos from the temple.


There were a few different groups of drums and horns playing throughout the temple, very lively atmosphere. 


Here are the tools used for the piercings, the longer silver needles and the small tubs of orange items that will also be pierced onto the arms and legs with hooks.


A closer look at the needles used.


Here you can see after the piercing has been performed. The needles go thru the frame and then into the skin, what they are carrying is referred to as "kavadi". Devotees prepare themselves spiritually with extensive prayer and fasting before performing acts of thanksgiving like carrying a kavadi from one temple to another.  


Some devotees with fruit and milk offerings. The milk is in the containers they are carrying on their heads. The milk is poured over the statue of Lord Subramaniam after the procession. 


The silver looking balls attached to his legs also hold milk as an offering. The kavadi are typically decorated with flowers and peacock feathers.


Some of these kavadi can weigh up to 60kg and reach up to 4 meters high.


In Singapore, the ceremony starts at the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple on Serangoon Road where devotees fulfil their vows with a 5km walk to Sri Thendayuthapani Temple.


Several men adding the silver needles. Often tongues and cheeks are also pierced.



He is ready to start his procession to the next temple. He will walk with his family and friends and other devotees.




Many kneel at the altar before leaving the temple to start their procession. 


Just before sunrise outside the temple. 

I hope you have enjoyed the photos and if you are unfamiliar with this holiday I hope you spend a little time Google-ing it. There is a big world out there with so much to learn and experience. If I have made any mistakes please feel free to message me, I would like to know so I can correct them. 

Happy Friday!!!

Reflections Contest Update:



Newspaper on Spoon is a winner! Woot Woot!!! I won a photography class from Knowledge Bowl. So excited to take another class with them, they have great instructors with a small class size for more personal and interactive classes. I just have to decide on Flash Photography or Product and Food Photography. Hmmmm....



2 comments:

  1. Katherine, I am so enjoying your blog, your photos and descriptions are fantastic. Keep it up....and congrats on winning the reflections contest. Love that photo.

    ReplyDelete