Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lau Pa Sat Festival Market


Lau Pa Sat has reopened after 9 months and a $4 million renovation. This is a hawker center directly across the street from our condo in the Central Business District. We are so happy to have this back. I look forward to enoying a few meals here and finding new favorites.


There are about 50 different food vendor stalls and 14 mini restaurants. Not sure yet what a mini restaurant is exactly but I'd guess a limited menu and a small space. Seating for the 50 + food stalls is open, you can grab a seat anywhere. People here "chope" tables, meaning they save their seats by leaving a packet of tissues behind, then go and find their food and drinks and bring it back to their saved table or seat.

Here three seats have been choped. It isn't busy at all so I'd just get my food and then grab a seat but maybe there is a really nice cool breeze right there? 

This is a roasted meat stall. One of my favorites! They usually have chicken, duck and pork all roasted to perfection with noodles or rice and veggies. 

Closer look at the yummy roasted meats. I found this very strange when we first moved here. Now I cannot imagine a hawker center without a roasted meat stall.


I went around 2 so it wouldn't be super crowded. The day before I went at 1:00 and I couldn't find a seat, it was elbow to elbow! During the lunch hour it isn't uncommon to wait up to 30 minutes in line to order. In fact, I like to look for the longest line, they must have the best food if the line is that long.

Making chapati from scratch. This is like bread without yeast and is good to mop up all of the extra sauce in some of your curry dishes.


This is one of my favorite things to eat at a hawker center. Yong Tau Foo. You get a bowl and a pair of tongs and you pick 5 or 6 items that you want, most of it I have no idea what it is. Some are veggies, tofu, fishball, imitation crab meat, some (even after eating it) I have no idea what it is but so far so good! Then you give your bowl to the person and decide if you want soup or curry or dry and what kind of noodles you want. They cook your items you picked up, chop them into smaller bite size pieces and a minute or two later you have a nice bowl of yumminess :)


Fried Kway Teow is a very popular rice-noodle dish. Usually has meat, egg and veggies and a nice brown sauce. Add some chili sauce and you are set.

Most of the stalls are pretty open and you can see all of the prep and cooking.


Typical condiments, again I never really know what is what so I just decide what might look good and give it a try. So far nothing that I didn't like but I have had some pretty spicy sauces.

 Spacious with high ceilings and several new large ceiling fans. It does feel better ventilated than before and it sure looks so much better. The green trim is very nice.

One cup of kopi o kosong for me and I'm good to go! This is the local style coffee and ordering is a bit of a thing..."kopi" means coffee, "o" means no milk and "kosong" means no sugar. I think normally it comes with both milk (usually evaporated milk) and sugar. There is a shop close to home with a chart to show you what means what and how to order your coffee. I am lucky that my hubby likes his coffee the same as I do so when we first moved here he had the lingo down right away :) 

Happy Friday!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment