Friday, July 11, 2014

Lunchtime in Singapore

Singapore is a foodies heaven. People here love to eat. Many jokes are told about the favorite national sports: eating, shopping and queueing. (Seems to be a line for everything) I have learned to try new things and some I really love. Here are a few dishes we love and a few I'm not so sure of.

Sliced Fish Soup
This is a favorite of both of ours. A light broth with sliced fish, leafy greens and sliced bitter gourd with a bit of fried shallots and garlic on top. Add in chili sauce and or soy sauce and this is the perfect light soup. Sometimes we go to the hawker center at Amoy St and on the second floor there are two fish soup stalls, both with long lines, both very very good!


Yes, we eat our soup with chopsticks and a spoon that doesn't really fit into your mouth but that is because here you are supposed to slurp your soup. We still aren't big slurpers but it is sort of a fun challenge to try to get through a soup meal without wearing any of it. :) Especially fun when the soup has long noodles in it.

Yong Tau Foo
This is my current favorite soup. You pick your own six items to go into your soup. I always choose a leafy green veggie, a fish ball, a tofu something and a krab ball. That leaves me with two items so I try to always pick something new and then maybe get some noodles. This bowl has curry but you can also get a light broth instead of curry. 

Char Kway Teow
Very popular noodle dish, has egg, cockles, sliced fish cake, noodles and chilies. Not one of my favorites but pretty good. There are so many different varieties of this dish. Every stall makes it their own way with their own choice of ingredients. Some places use meat instead of cockles, some have a different sauce or gravy on it.

Chendol with Mango
I am not a big fan of some of the local desserts. Here is an example of one. This is made up of shaved ice, coconut milk, red beans, rice flour jelly noodles with the green food coloring, puree of mango and sugar. It wasn't bad, it wasn't especially good either. I think I have to say that I am a sugar addict and its only fair that you know this so that you know my opinion may be off a bit. If it isn't a sheet cake or a candy bar I probably wont love it.

Happy Friday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment