Thursday, July 28, 2016

Panning


Thought I'd try my hand at panning today. The classic race car photos with the car in clear focus and everything else blurred is a good example of a panning shot. For these photos I used a shutter speed of 1/25, ISO 200 until the sun went down more and then I increased the ISO. These are all hand held, no tripod. Panning is moving the camera horizontally along with a moving object to show motion. So standing in place and turning evenly from left to right or vice versa along with the main focus going by. This time my main focus are bikes and runners.

I think this was my best bike panning photo of the day.

This one was not too bad...

and this one was pretty good also.

This skateboarder was good too, a little dark but sharp. I would love to hop on a skateboard and sail along like him but I know better. I have trouble with balance walking on an even surface!

Roller blades. I never thought Singapore would have such an active outdoor lifestyle since it is so hot and humid everyday but there are always plenty of people out and about.

There seems to be a race every weekend in Singapore, I can't believe what a big running community there is. The Pocari Sweat race was on this day. Here is the elite runner in the 5km race (I'm pretty sure it was the 5km and the first place runner at this point). Very happy with this photo. Some of these photos didn't get a lot of editing, only crop and adjust the exposure. Some of them have the Pixlr mimic HDR effect added. It didn't look great on all of them.

Pacers

Normally runners are photographed with a freeze frame (example: shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster) so they are in clear focus and you only get a fast split second capture for the photo. I think runners are harder to capture with panning because people bounce a bit when they run causing blur and everyone runs at different speeds and some are trying to pass other runners or unexpectedly slow down. Bikes were easier, they are smoother and faster. I'd say it was worth it, some of these are good. Its fun to try something different.

Synchronized pacers, check out those legs!

Pacers near Gardens by the Bay.

This is the flower dome for the Gardens by the Bay. See how the sidewalk is filled with racers and there is no space for the public? This race had an unusual start time; around 6pm. IMHO - Better to have these races early in the morning before the parks and gardens get crowded. Unfair to the people who trained for this timed competitive race and unfair to the people visiting the gardens.

Happy Friday!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment