Thursday, August 28, 2014

12km Loop


OK, here is our 12km running loop at Marina Bay in Singapore. I thought it was longer but it is only 12km. So that means for my run on Saturday I have to do this and another 2km since my training plan has me running 14km, Yikes! 

Starting next to the NTUC Building at Marina Bay.


From the NTUC Bldg, run along the paved walkway at Marina Bay to the Merlion. Lots of tourists come to see the Merlion and it does get a bit crowded here but usually I run early enough that I don't see too many people.

Everyone wants their photo with the Merlion :)

They are building a new pedestrian bridge to cross the bay, until that is completed I just go up the stairs and run across the current bridge, there is a sidewalk with a row of bushes separating the street from the sidewalk so it isn't too bad. At the far end of the bridge I take a right turn by the odd shaped dome, the Esplanade Theater. 

Here is the Esplanade looking down from the bridge. I run from the left side of the photo to the right side along the water. The interesting looking sail structure by the waters edge is a stage, bands play here at night.

A better view of the outdoor stage at the Esplanade. You can see in the background where I've already run. I started at those tall buildings, still have a ways to go!

Normally I would run straight past the Floating Stadium but it is closed for the F1 racing series that starts soon. So I go around it, just a short detour.
Back on track, running under the Helix Bridge.

Run past the Flyer (scary giant ferris wheel) and past the F1 Pit Bldg. There is a bunch of work going on at the Pit Bldg, setting up bleachers and lighting for the races. This route is open now but will close Sept 1 and reopen Oct 1. This is my last weekend to get this 12km run completed without stopping, fingers crossed I can do it!

F1 Pit bldg


Kallang Riverside Park, nice and shady here :)

Another view of the park. There are restrooms here and there is an MRT (train) close by. I never bring my MRT card with me because if I did I would never finish a run. 

Cross the bridge at Nicholl Highway to get to the new National Stadium. I didn't get a photo of this bridge, its pretty boring and there is so much construction there I get a little lost running through it sometimes.

After the unphotographed bridge run along the boardwalk in front of the National Stadium.

Over the pedestrian bridge to cross the water again. Sunny part of the run, not so fun. 

Another view of the bridge.

Running along the river, I am beside the condos with the orange tiled roofs in the photo above. This is the Sheares Bridge I am about to run under. There is the Flyer again.

Under the Sheares Bridge. 

A long stretch partially shaded at Gardens by the Bay East. Its a pretty run here with the flowers and trees and beautiful view of the city across the water. Far from traffic now, there are lots of running activities held here. I always see lots of runners and bikers out on the weekends. 

No sitting! Must keep going. But....there is a soda machine close by that has cold sports drinks and juice and soda so IF I were to take a break, it wouldn't be so bad right here. 

Gardens by the Bay East is connected to downtown and Gardens by the Bay by the Marina Barrage. We are almost home! Cross over this bridge and then up the Barrage for a hill workout.

Run up the ramp at the Marina Barrage and back down. 

Another view of the barrage and the bay. 

From the Barrage, its a straight shot down to Gardens by the Bay. I always look for the sea otters along the water here. One morning I did see them in the water playing. Sooooo cute!

The building in the middle-ish with the bit of red on top is the NTUC building, that is my start/end point. Our condo is just behind the Sail, the two buildings to the left of the NTUC with a curvy side. Home sweet home :)

Happy Friday!!!

Update: adding a new photo of our route. 
This is the map for The Straits Times Race Geoff and I are running on Sept 28th. We will be well prepared since it is very similar to our usual running routes.





No comments:

Post a Comment