Thursday, August 14, 2014

Singapore HDBs

For the month of August the HDBs display Singaporean flags around their property as part of National Day celebrations. HDB stands for Housing and Development Board. The majority of residential housing developments in Singapore is publicly governed and developed. In 2013, 81% of residents live in HDBs and 90% of residents own their apartments. They are self contained estates that may include markets, hawker centers, clinics and recreational facilities. I went around and took some photos. Here are my favorites. 

These HDBs are giant estates covering a large area. I spent the day walking around, taking trains and buses jumping off when I saw pretty flag displays. I've kept notes since last year of where to go and luckily they all had great displays again this year. The Tiong Bahru Orchid is just a few train stops away from home and its a really pretty HDB estate.

Also at Tiong Bahru Orchid. A little breeze to get the flags moving made a good shot. Tree lined street with a bus stop close by, seems like a nice place to be.


Closer shot of the front doors and balconies decorated with the flags. This was at The Beo Crescent HDB complex in Bukit Merah, not far from Tiong Bahru. Love all the colors and the mix of items on the balcony, plants, bikes, clothes and flags. As the bus I was riding pulled up to the bus stop I spotted all the flags and decided to jump off for photos. Glad I did but then I sort of got lost. Again. I'm always lost...


Some HDBs are skyscrapers and some are lower rise buildings. Hard to see the flags from the sidewalk in this shot, four rows going up the middle.

If you click on the photo maybe you'll see a bigger version, the writing on the fence is this years theme for National Day, "One People, One Nation, One Singapore".

Slightly closer...


A courtyard view looking up to the apartments. The first floor of this building has a few businesses. I like how the walkway to the apartments are open air to get a breeze but still covered to keep you dry when its raining. I didn't catch the names of all of the HDBs I photographed, wish I had.

This is Tanjong Pagar Plaza. I walk here a few times a week to buy my groceries at Fair Price, very close to home. Besides a grocery store, they have a fruit market and cooked food market close by as well as banks, clinics, restaurants and other shopping. I like the hardware stores here. When I have some odd item Geoff wants me to buy I always start here and show them a photo of what I need. They usually have it or know where I can get it, drain cleaner, odd sized batteries, light bulbs, etc. No need for Home Depot :)

Closer view of Tanjong Pagar Plaza balconies.

Another view of Tanjong Pagar Plaza.


This is Pinnacle at Duxton in the background. The bridge linking the towers at the top is open to the public and for $5.00 you can go up and walk around. I haven't been but I've heard its a great view of the city. The three story shophouses lining the street are nice. They are all different businesses, cafes, etc. Some shophouses are used primarily as residences. I just read that one of the first apartments at Pinnacle is up for resale, 90 square meters, may go for as much as S$1 million. Wowser! There are all sorts of rules with HDB sales and resales. Singaporeans have to wait a few years after purchasing a new apartment before they are allowed to sell and I think there are rules for leasing their apartments as well. Quite different that the US. 

A second view of Pinnacle at Duxton.

Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment