Thursday, August 7, 2014

Happy 49th Birthday Singapore!

     Singapore celebrates National Day Saturday, August 9th. This year, like last year, I will be celebrating at home watching the live televised festivities. This has become our thing. Every year we watch at home and  run out to the balcony when we hear the jets coming to try to catch a glimpse of them flying past our building. They are sooo loud and soooo fast it isn't easy! Here are some photos of Singapore preparing for National Day. I took these the same day as I did the firework photo shoot during the rehearsal.

This is the floating stadium at Marina Bay. The stage will have performances by several local schools, music schools, National Cadet Corps, defence displays, local television personalities and community organizations. Singaporeans or PRs (those who have permanent residence status) can apply for tickets to the parade and performance. If your application was successful for the 2013 parade you would be ineligible for the 2014. Tickets are not allowed to be sold.

Those aren't dust spots, they are the Singapore Armed Forces parachute team! I used a Sigma 18-250 zoom lens and I am guessing I'd need a much bigger lens to really capture them, maybe a 150-500 zoom, what a monster that would be to carry around. The parachuters are a neat part of the National Day parade so I thought I'd include the photo even though they are pretty hard to see.

The Singapore Air Force pulling the flag. It's backwards for my shot but facing the correct way for the audience at the floating platform. 

Here are those fast loud jets. This is the only shot I got of them, by the time I was ready to hit the shutter release again they were gone. Glad I'm happy with this shot!

Rainbow smoke bombs? I don't know...I don't remember this from last year. The other people I was with wasn't sure either, had a good laugh though. Guess we will have to wait and see it on t.v. 

These flags were up at a reflecting pool at a park. I'm not sure if they are up all year or not since I've never been to this park before. Guess I'll have to come by in September and see if they are still up! There is an art cafe next door. You can take art classes and have a coffee/tea/cake and hang out. Sounds like fun! Might have to try that sometime. I think they even give art classes.

Flags are up all over town, we are ready!

The cresent moon represents a young nation and the five stars stand for democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality.

Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment