Thursday, November 7, 2013

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ;)

I entered an online photography contest with the Nikon Club Singapore. It is open to everyone and photos are submitted based on a pre planned subject. The subject for October was backlighting, lucky for me I just did a few backlit photos so I was ready. I have never entered a contest before and I don't even tell anyone I have this blog because I just don't think I am that good of a photographer so I am stunned to say I won this contest. Here is the #1 Choice:

Backlit Fern

For this weeks blog I went to the Gardens by the Bay Flower Dome. They were supposed to have it decorated for Deepavali. This is a Hindu Holiday (if I'm wrong please correct me!) that celebrates the victory of light over darkness, goodness over evil. One of the biggest holidays of the year. Normally when the Flower Dome is celebrating they decorate it beautifully. Safe to say I was a little underwhelmed with the holiday decorations but the flowers were just as beautiful as always.


Cute elephants carved from wood were nestled into the flowers all over the dome. 


Red sparkly elephants were the centerpiece. 


More cute elephants. Maybe I missed the big decorations, the website for the Gardens said it would be on display through Nov 10 even though the holiday was celebrated Nov 2. 

Still the flowers did not disappoint and there just so happens to be another photography contest with flowers as the subject. Here are some of my possible entries.


Love these, I was there early and they had just been watered. 


This one turned out well too. Aperture setting to give a blurry background and keep the main subject in focus.


Not a flower but a succulent. They are some of my favorite plants. Used the aperture setting to get the blurred foreground and background.


Like the composition of this one. Using the rule of thirds to create a picture with more depth by putting the main subject off center. What do you think?


These guys were so pretty!


Gorgeous!


Love this one too. Wish it had a better background, all one color at least that I could blur more, it would help the flower become more the center of focus.

Sunday is the Great Eastern Women's Run and I signed up for my first half marathon. I have completed my training and I was super ready for the race and then I got hit with a nasty cold/cough. I think I will still go and do my best but it is such a bummer to do all of that training and then feel like I can't do my best at the race. You never know though, maybe I will feel better and have a great run. Crazier things have happened! I just won a photography contest, maybe I'm lucky right now? Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Happy Friday!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment